World Environment Day is a global event that is marked on June 5 annually to sensitise people about the importance of safeguarding the environment. It urges people and governments worldwide to take concrete steps for the betterment of Mother Earth.
The UN Assembly decided to establish World Environment Day in 1972, which was also the first day of the Stockholm Conference on human environment.
In the year 1974, the day’s theme was ‘Only One Earth’. Since then, various host countries have been celebrating it with enthusiasm.
World Environment Day 2021 Theme
This year, the theme is ‘Ecosystem Restoration’ – a term that means assisting in the recovery of damaged ecosystems and conserving those that’re still intact. According to experts, healthier ecosystems yield a number of benefits such as more fertility, better yields of timber and fish, and improved quality of environment.
Restoration can happen in several ways, including by removing pressures so that nature can recover on its own.
Host of World Environment Day 2021
This year, Pakistan is set to host the World Environment Day event. In one of the world’s most noteworthy afforestation efforts, the Government of Pakistan plans to expand and restore the country’s forests. The campaign includes planting trees in urban settings, restoration of mangroves, among others.
Significance of the day
▪︎ To promote sustainable and eco-friendly development in countries.
▪︎ Creating awareness about the adverse effects of environmental degradation around the world.
▪︎ For developing advanced mechanisms to resolve particular environmental problems
• I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. —Frank Lloyd Wright
• We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children — Native American Proverb
• The Earth is a fine place and worth fighting for. —Ernest Hemingway
• Choose only one master—nature. —Rembrandt
• Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral. — John Burroughs